Monday, December 24, 2007

I just finished watching all five hours of VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of the 90s. Disastrous list. The main problem, I think, is that it counts down not of the greatest songs, but the most famous. Any list that has "Rico Suave" or "I'm Too Sexy" in it cannot use the word "great" to describe it. I won't create my own list, like I did with the 80s countdown, nor will I make a case for their selection of the wrong song from most artists ("Dreams" instead of "Linger"... any Beastie Boys song other than "Sabotage"...). But in my humble opinion, I cannot believe that the following songs* (in no particular order) were omitted:

Guns N Roses - "November Rain"
Smashing Pumpkins - "Disarm"
Veruca Salt - "Volcano Girls"
Coolio - "Gangsta's Paradise"
Blur - "Song 2"
Nine Inch Nails - "Closer"
Duran Duran - "Ordinary World"
Garbage - "Only Happy When It Rains"
Matthew Sweet - "Girlfriend"
Soul Coughing - "Circles"
Sublime - "What I Got"
Temple of the Dog - "Hunger Strike"
The Verve - "Bittersweet Symphony"
Natalia Imbruglia - "Torn"
Outkast - "Rosa Parks"
Seal - "Crazy"
Boyz II Men - "Motownphilly"
Positive K - "I Got a Man"
Eels - "Novocaine for the Soul"
George Michael - "Freedom 90"
No Doubt - "Just a Girl"
Rage Against the Machine - "Bullet in the Head"
US3 - "Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia)"
The Proclaimers - "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)"
Stone Temple Pilots - "Interstate Love Song"
Savage Garden - "I Want You"

* Note: there are many more that could be included, but I stuck to their concept of the songs having to be a hit (which excluded TONS of options) and only one song per artist. And yes, I realize that the inclusion of artists like Savage Garden make me look like a complete tool, but come on... you all love the Cherry Cola song too, you just can't admit it.

No comments: