Friday, February 16, 2007

Leaving On a Cash Cab
Well, my time at MTV Networks is at an end. Sort of, and at least temporarily. No, I didn't get caught up in the mass layoffs this week, although many of good friends and talented former co-workers did get let go (and yes, MTV Networks does have talented employees, no matter what the commenters on Gawker and Jossip say). But I did land a writing job at Cash Cab. I start on Wednesday. Tuesday I will spend one final day at Mi TRL to crank out a first draft of next week's script, and then I'm off. This will be my first long-term (well, a month) job outside of MTV Networks in over 4 years. It will be nice to have a change of pace and to meet and network with some new people. Plus Cash Cab seems like a fun show to work for. And hopefully at my new job, people won't try to pay for their lunch using counterfeit $5 bills.*


Also, to quickly answer the first question that I'm sure popped into your mind: no, I won't tell you where the Cash Cab will be. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.


* Yes, I actually saw this happen yesterday. I'm sure it was a mix-up, that he got the bill as change at a bodega or something. But the guy seemed really nervous as he was forced to wait for the manager. Which got me thinking, why would anyone bother counterfeiting $5 bills? Why not go straight for bigger denominations? Or maybe that's the genius of the plan: that people would never expect such a small bill to be fake. Whatever.

No comments: