Monday, February 12, 2007

Pricey Synchronicity
Everyone in the blogosphere seems to be talking about The Police reunion, so I guess I'll weigh in too. Dates have been announced. So have prices: they top out at $225 (at least for the Canadian and Fenway shows... I have a feeling the shows as MSG will cost more, as that is usually the case. Stupid NYC).* That's Eagles / Madonna prices, and cheaper than the Rolling Stones. Not terrible. What is terrible is their presale. To get involved, you have to sign up for the new Police fan club, which costs $100. Not only that, but you can sign up for the club as you're actually purchasing tix during the presale. Why are they even bothering to pretend that the money is for a fan club? Does anyone care about a message board or exclusive photos? They should just be honest and tell people that they can buy tickets early for a price that's $100 higher than the price would be a week later. People would still do it.
That being said, while I won't join the "fan club," I will try my hardest to buy tix during the general public on-sale. I put them at #2 on my list of bands I'd most want to see reunite. But I'll be damned if I get played by this crappy system.
As for their performance last night, I was hoping for more than one song, or at least a medley. I won't even comment on the rest of the Grammys, except to say that I'm glad I didn't waste 3+ hours of my life watching it (I instead opted for The Science of Sleep on DVD and last night's episodes of "Extras" and "Family Guy").

Update: Yup, I was right... MSG tix top out at $254.50. That's just lovely.

No comments: