Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Went to amFAR Rocks last night at Tavern on the Green, and my crazy friend won a silent auction for an autographed picture of Larry Thomas... winning bid: $250. Who, you ask, is Larry Thomas? Why he's the Soup Nazi, of course. Yes, an autographed napkin with a lipstick kiss from Britney Spears went for $300, while my friend paid $250 for a menacing picture of the Soup Nazi with the inscription "No Soup for You! Larry Thomas, "Soup Nazi." It's a good thing he's a well-paid investment banker, but it makes me question his investment advice.

Also interesting to note that one of the items auctioned off was a tour for 2 of the MTV studios led by John Norris and seats to a TRL taping. The high bid when I last checked was $375 (the placard claimed the retail value as "priceless"). I was tempted to write down the names and numbers of the losing bidders and offer them the same deal (with me instead of John Norris) for the bargain price of $50, but didn't. However if any of you are out there, drop me a line...

Finally, the celeb factor was decidedly small (I think because the premiere of Fahrenheit 9/11 was also last night and drew much bigger names). Sadly, I think people were most excited to see Carson Kressley (of Queer Eye fame). Do you think that nowadays if someone mentions the name "Carson," he's who comes to mind most often? It's definitely not Johnny, and I think he may have surpassed Daly at this point. That's very bothersome to me.

No comments: