Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Can't Stop (the ringing)
A co-worker yesterday hooked me up with a last-minute ticket to catch the Red Hot Chili Peppers at Irving Plaza. How amazing to see a band like them, at this point in their career, playing an intimate venue. And I had a blast. The only problem is, the show was loud. Painfully loud. To the point where I had to leave my prime spot about 25 feet from the stage to stand in the back near the bar. My ears are still ringing. It's embarrassing to say, but maybe I'm getting too old for a show like this. Is 26 old? Didn't The Sopranos just say that 26 is the new 21?
Anyway, getting back to the show, they played for about 90 minutes, with a lot of new material, which sounds like a lot of their old material. They peppered the set with hits, including "Can't Stop," "Soul to Squeeze," "By the Way," "Scar Tissue," and "Give It Away." John did a fine solo rendition of the Bee-Gee's "How Deep Is Your Love." Flea attempted a solo rendition of Neil Young's "Needle and Damage Done," but gave up about 15 seconds into it. The band was on fire, although it drowned out a lot of the vocals. They are also nothing but energy, with Anthony spinning like a top, Flea's head constantly bopping and dripping with sweat, Chad pounding away on the drums like Animal, John tearing up the guitar. Their sound isn't as good live as on their albums, but they still put on a helluva show.
As for celebrity sightings, the only one I glimpsed was Wanda Sykes. And I can't stand her. Oh well.

No comments: