Thursday, May 20, 2004

By the way, last night I saw a screening of The Day After Tomorrow, and it wasn't that good (I know, is there any movie other than Napoleon Dynamite that I have liked recently? Doesn't seem that way...). The movie started out alright, and actually one of the coolest part was the credit sequence, which was a long pan across the Arctic Ocean in which the names in the credits created wavy reflections in the water. The destruction of earth was okay, but ended less than an hour into the film. The next hour was tediously boring and ridiculously stupid... somehow Dennis Quaid was able to walk from DC to Manhattan in the worst snowstorm ever in a matter of days. I MapQuested it, and the distance is 226.54 miles. Not bloody likely, methinks. Anyway, I'm glad that at least I'm not paying money to see these films. Next up: Saved, on Monday. My first ever Mandy Moore movie. I'm excited.
Oh, The Day After Tomorrow had one opportunity to make a joke that would've saved the entire movie and didn't do it. There are these 3 scientists (don't worry, this isn't a spoiler) who are stranded in a shack in Scotland and they've run out of fuel and have no way of getting out. One of them says "Don't worry, we have plenty of tea and biscuits... as long as the lew doesn't clog up, we'll be fine." All 3 laugh uncomfortably, then one by one stop laughing when reality about their imminent death sets in. There's a moment when the first guy stops laughing where I wish he'd said, "Um, about that..." and there'd be a slow camera pan (with melodramatic music playing in the background) to the toilet, which is clogged. Oh man, that would've been funny.

No comments: