Thursday, May 13, 2004

Okay, I'm officially fed up with the crap that passes for "music" these days. MTVU plays a video for "Snowflakes" by Just Jack approximately once an hour. In that song, Just Jack samples the Cure's "Lullaby" and replaces Robert Smith's original lyrics and haunting voice with infantile lyrics that are half-sung/half-rapped by a white thug-wannabe poser. This sampling nonsense has to stop! It's not cool or creative; it simply means that artists don't have the talent to write their own melodies. Jessica Simpson's "I Think I'm in Love with You" did it with "Jack & Diane," 5ive's "Everybody Get Up" did it with "I Love Rock and Roll"... the list goes on and on. Covers are almost as bad, but at least they admit to their lack of originality and don't try to pass themselves off as something they're not. Stop ruining good music (not that "Jack & Diane" is good... it was simply an example of sampling I thought of off the top of my head) and write your own songs, you untalented asses!

No comments: