Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Prince 7/13 MSG Concert Review
Last night's concert was at once one of the best and most frustrating concerts I've ever attended. As far as the actual show, it was incredible. Prince is an amazing performer, his band was tight (especially drummer John Blackwell, who was one of the best I've ever seen, and Maceo Parker on sax), and the energy was unfaltering for more than 2 1/2 hours. He played almost all of his hits and a wide array of lesser-known songs from his "Vault." He was in a great mood and joked a lot with the crowd, who went absolutely NUTS for him. I've never heard it so loud before... at one point Prince got all 20,000 people to jump at the same time, and lemme tell you, the place SHOOK. The downside to the show was that in order to get through so many hits, he only played about 10% of the songs in their entirety. Instead we got 2 verses of "Let's Go Crazy," 1 verse (no chorus) of "When Doves Cry," 2 verses of "7," etc. And while I know playing songs to completion would've shortened the setlist considerably, a lot of the show ended up being one big tease. Nevertheless, it was a terrific concert, and I'm going to tonight's Afterparty at B.B. King's on the off-chance that he performs. Chances are I'll stay there until 3am and be S.O.O.L., but we'll see...

Here's an almost-complete setlist, pulled from prince.org:
Musicology
Let's Go Crazy
I Would Die 4 U
When Doves Cry
Baby I'm A Star
Shhh
D.M.S.R./Crazy in Love
I Feel 4 U
A Love Bizarre (full version with singing)
Controversy
Georgia on My Mind (Maceo lead vocals)
Acoustic set
-Little Red Corvette
-Cream
-ICNTTPOYM
-Telemarketer Blues
-On the Couch
-Sweet Thing
-ADORE
7
Sign O' The Times
Bambi
Whole Lotta Love
Let's Work
U Got The Look
Life O' The Party
Knock On Wood (Chance lead vocals)
Kiss
Take Me With U
(Encore)
Call My Name
Purple Rain

No comments: