Monday, July 31, 2006

I recently realized that this summer marks the 10th anniversary of my rope bracelet. Yes, for the past 10 years this thing has not left my wrist. It's probably infested with disease... but then again, it does go in the shower with me, so gets all soaped up. Either way I refuse to remove it... it'll only come off when it actually falls off (which, considering it's made out of rock-climbing rope, seems highly unlikely to happen).
Where did it come from? I got it during a 5-week backpacking trip in Alaska the summer after my junior year of high school. Me, 12 other teens (eventually knocked down to 10 when 2 were busted smoking pot), and 2 adult guides. We were all given these rope bracelets and asked to tie a knot in it to signify a goal we had for the summer. I have no recollection of what my goal for the summer was... probably something lame, along the lines of "make great friends and have fun." I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts* that I'm the only one still wearing the bracelet... but, since I've lost touch with everyone else, I can't say for sure.
Why won't I take it off? I don't know, exactly. I somehow got it into my mind that I wouldn't, and I haven't. Part of my Peter-Pan Syndrome? It's gotten me into some arguments when people feel it's inappropriate to wear (at a black-tie wedding, in a high-school play), but I've persevered. Maybe when (if) I have a son, I'll cut it off and give it to him. He'll probably be like "what the fuck?" Or maybe he'll think it's cool. Time will tell.

* Note: I have no idea what that expression means. But it was used in an episode of The Simpsons, so it has become part of my vernacular.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll bet it smells like an anal abscess.

Brian said...

You're the expert.

Anonymous said...

Is that really a picture of your hand or did you take a screen grab from Teen Wolf?

Brian said...

You're the expert.