Friday, September 16, 2005

Fox has got to stop trying to insert cute throwaway jokes into their hour-long dramas, because they are always, ALWAYS lame. They instantly cause me to tune out and never return. Out of two new shows I've tried watching this season, both have suffered from this malady.

First up was Prison Break. At the start of the show, when the main character is holding up the bank, he has this exchange with a teller:
Robber: Where's the bank manager?
Teller: He's having lunch at White Castle.
Robber: (incredulous) What!?!
Teller: It's a fast food restaurant that serves those mini-square hamburgers.

Click.

The next perpetrator? Reunion, which had this exchange between two friends who just graduated high school (in 1986).
Guy: I don't know, that seems a little too St. Elmo's Fire.
Girl: You cried during St. Elmo's Fire.
Guy: (stammering) I told you, it was ragweed season. There was a lot of pollen in the air.

Click.

Fortunately, I can still get my quality humor from South Park, which was just renewed for 3 more seasons and which finally won a well-deserved, long-overdue Emmy for Best Animated Show. Congrats!

No comments: