Monday, September 12, 2005

Nomer* Homer
That's it. I'm officially never watching a new episode of The Simpsons ever again. Last night's 17th season premiere was the last straw. I'm sick of them recycling material (the joke about Homer going to the outhouse and his cousin saying "We don't have an outhouse… my recording studio!" was used in part 2 of "Who Shot Mr. Burns" with Grandpa saying he's going to use the outhouse, Lisa saying they don't have one, and Homer exclaiming "My toolshed!"). I'm sick of storylines where Marge leaves Homer, finds a much better man, but goes back to Homer in the end. But the joke that really did it for me was this exchange:

(Homer in a boat is surrounded by a gang of menacing kids on jet-skis when Alec Baldwin's character pulls up in a boat)
Alec Baldwin's Character: I have this court order preventing you from riding those jet-skis.
Gang Leader: Your court order doesn't scare us. (beat) Oh my God, it's notarized. Let's get out of here!


Funny? Not by a long shot. And yet this type of joke is used over and over and over. And I'm sick of it.
So Simpsons, I wish you goodbye, good luck, and good riddance.

* (pronounced "no more")

No comments: