Sunday, June 17, 2007

Wonder No More
Remember how excited I was when Ion Television started showing repeats of The Wonder Years? It's now been more than 2 months since then, and I've watched every episode since that post. Yup, that's 5 hours of TV a week (well, more like 3 1/2 being able to fast-forward through commercials... thanks DVR). And while I was happy to discover that the first 4 seasons were as funny and poignant as I remembered them, lately it's gone significantly downhill. The main problem is that as he got older, Kevin Arnold became much less likable. At this point (I'm in the final season), he's manipulative, rude, whiny, selfish, lazy, backstabbing, cheap, egotistical, and just plain mean. How do you relate to, and sympathize with, a protagonist like this? Basically I'm rooting for things to go wrong for him. I'm almost tempted to stop watching... fortunately I think that this week should bring the series finale, so I may as well tough it out.

Another problem, pointed out to me by Tommy Himself: the pilot episode mentions the only kiss Kevin and Winnie ever shared, but by the end of the show they were making out all the time. So much for continuity.

No comments: