Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Lots to talk about today...

1) This morning, after many months (years?) of prodding by my mother, I went to a sleep clinic. Specifically, the Sleep-Wake Disorders Center at Montefiore Hospital. The goal: to figure out why it takes me at least an hour (and often 2-3) to fall asleep every night. The long subway ride deep into the Bronx (the last stop on the D train) for a 9am appointment sure didn't help my sleep problems. In advance of the appointment I'd filled out a massive booklet full of questions about my sleep habits... and the doctor proceeded to ask me every single question in person, looking at my hand-written answers as she did so. After this interview and a quick checking of weight, blood-pressure, etc., she came up with a plan. And here it is:
Starting tonight, I'm to go to bed at 2am and wake up at 8am. Every night. Regardless of what day it is, or what my schedule is like, or how tired I get. No naps, no sleeping in, no shifting the time. The point is that if I'm still taking a couple hours to fall asleep and therefore only get 4 hours of sleep per night, I'll eventually become so exhausted that I'll start falling asleep shortly after I hit the pillow. Continue to do that and it'll become a habit. And she warned me that I will become miserably exhausted over the next couple of weeks. Can't wait. Eventually, when this becomes my regular sleep pattern, I will slowly expand the hours to give me a longer period of sleep, and then shift the hours so that I'll learn to do it at any time. This better work.
She also wanted me to completely cut out all caffeine and alcohol, at least until my sleeping becomes regimented. But I don't think that's gonna happen.

2) One thing you see on the subway when you're way up in the Bronx that you don't typically see in Manhattan: a homeless beggar with a massive head wound dripping blood down his face.

3) I had my fantasy football draft last night. 3rd pick out of 10. Here's a quick recap of my team:
1. Larry Johnson - RB
2. Steve Smith - WR
3. Marvin Harrison - WR
4. Donovan McNabb - QB
5. Carnell Williams - RB
6. Adrian Peterson - RB
7. Chicago - DEF
8. Mark Clayton - WR
9. Vincent Jackson - WR
10. Tatum Bell - RB
11. Jason Witten - TE
12. Randy McMichael - TE
13. Ben Roethlisberger - QB

14. Eli Manning - QB
15. Jason Elam - K
16. Mike Furrey - WR


I really didn't want to take LJ, but really had no choice. At least he ended his holdout today. I've got great receivers, the top defense, and lots of depth. Running backs are shaky, but if they play to potential, I should be in good shape. I also can't believe I drafted Eli... I hate that guy. Hopefully I can deal him for somebody... and soon.
Also, after deciding to go with Romo Arigato, I had to change my team name since Tony Romo isn't on my squad. So I'm now known as the McNabby-Headed Hos. I don't think it's as good, but I don't have much to work with. Further suggestions will be accepted.

4) Have you people been watching Spike Spends Saturday Night With? That's Spike as in Spike Jonze. Basically he films himself hanging out with random celebrities, just to see what it's like. First up is M.I.A. Check it out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe you should do some exercises before bedtime. like power lifting and squats. i know a guy who can put you on a great schedule.

Brian said...

And how many years of medical school have you attended? I was specifically told to have all exercising finished at least 3 hours before bedtime.

Anonymous said...

i've had only 6 years but this guy is great. do you like "angry punk" music?

Brian said...

I prefer "gleeful punk"