Wednesday, September 05, 2007

In 9 hours I have my first follow-up appointment at the sleep clinic. I plan on telling the doc that I have been following her instructions precisely (although on Friday night I did have one beer after 11pm), that I am insanely tired, that I fall asleep faster now but have only been getting about 5 hours of sleep a night, and that I get headaches every day around 4pm. Hopefully she'll say I'm cured and don't need to continue for the remaining weeks (or months). Yeah, right.

This experiment couldn't have come at a worse time, as my roommate's mom crashed at our apartment this weekend. Again. And she was annoying. Again. Only this time I couldn't sleep away the morning, hoping they'd be gone for the day by the time I got up. No, since I was up at the crack of dawn, she decided to take me to brunch... where she got into an argument with my roommate about how he's not allowed to put her in a home if she gets sick. It also meant that, since she was sleeping in my roommate's bedroom and therefore he was sleeping in the living room, I had to keep him awake until 2am since I'm not allowed to be in my bedroom the hour before bedtime. I would feel more guilty, but I consider it payback for him forgetting my birthday.

On the subject of my roommate, yesterday he had the audacity to tell me that the most recent song he downloaded from iTunes was Cowboy Junkies' "Sweet Jane." When I rolled my eyes, he asked why I didn't like the Cowboy Junkies. I told him that it's a Velvet Underground song, and he responded, "Who?" Later when I played him the original version, he complained that it was too upbeat.

Went to the Yankee game tonight, snuck down to excellent seats on the lower level right behind home plate, and of course the Jumbotron cameraman came right up to my row to tape two elementary-school kids dancing in the seats right next to me. I buried my head in my hands and didn't look up to see if I actually appeared on the Jumbotron, but the way my friend was laughing, I can only assume I was.

Sunday night I went with the same friend to Highline Ballroom to see Beatallica. Hard to find a better way to spend $5.98, at least in NYC. If you haven't heard of them, it's a group that combines the Beatles and Metallica, obviously. It's almost scary how much the singer sounds like James Hetfield... although not as scary as the group of aging, balding, fattening, leather-wearing dudes (and their biker-chick girlfriends) that made up the majority of the audience. Here's a clip of them doing "The Thing That Should Not Let It Be" to give you a sense of their live show.

Sorry for the rambling.

No comments: