Friday, November 14, 2003

Wow, another sad day. Drummer Tony Thompson, only 48, has passed away. I can say that I wasn't a very big fan of Chic (or disco music in general), although it's hard to dislike "Good Times" (at the very least because it led to "Rapper's Delight" and "Another One Bites the Dust"). But I was a fan (in a very guilty pleasure sort of way) of Power Station, at least of their 80's album, which I still have on vinyl. And I couldn't deny his talent. And now I'm scared, because half of the supergroup has died in less than two months (Robert Palmer, who from what I've read and heard was one of the nicest, most genuine people in the industry, died on September 26). That leaves the two Taylors, who are in the midst of a surprisingly powerful Duran Duran reunion. This curse must end here. I know that bad things happen in threes. Let's hope that this case is an exception. And Tony Thompson, you will be missed (as will Robert Palmer... I would have given you your proper due had my blog existed back in September).

Went to a Troma party at Planet Hollywood last night. Well, it wasn't really a "Troma party," but it was a party that Troma helped sponsor, and featured a Toxie, a Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD, and Tromettes. And lots of booze. And Lloyd Kaufman filming DVD intros. All the basic ingredients of a Troma party. I worked at Troma for almost a year. When I first got the job, I couldn't have been more thrilled to be a part of the company responsible for Killer Condom and Chopper Chicks in Zombietown. But the shine rubs off very quickly, especially when as the biggest person in the office you are forced to wear the Toxic Avenger outfit, featuring heavy latex mask with one eyehole that doesn't line up with your eye and no nose or mouth holes. At least naked women were always willing to frolic with Toxie. And I must give Lloyd credit. For all of the shit, he still manages to crank out lots of product, with various degrees of success, through incredible guerilla tactics. It was quite remarkable watching him recruit the hottest women at the party to jump and jiggle for the camera. Troma has been going strong for 30 years. It's the cockroach of the movie industry, and will probably be around long after the other studios have been decimated. More power to them. I just will never work there again.

No comments: