Thursday, March 18, 2004

Saw Neil Young & Crazy Horse perform Greendale (and a selection of hits) at Radio City last night. Excellent concert. Greendale is terrific music; the staging is bizarre. It's like watching a really early 80's music video where the singer acts out every single lyric. Pretty cheesy, actually. I think it would've been better had he simply played the music without the actors onstage. I'm sure the movie is even worse than the staging. But I highly recommend the album, and Neil can still rock with the best of them (the show lasted almost 3 hours). He also hasn't lost his edge... at one point a heckler kept yelling out "Cinnamon Girl" during one of Neil's expository monologues, and Neil finally shouted back "Shut up, asshole!" much to the delight of the crowd. Why people feel there cannot be a single moment of silence during a rock concert without somebody whistling, cheering, or yelling things out escapes me. This is why I hate people.

On a related concert note, a former co-worker had e-mailed me yesterday to tell me about Courtney Love's surprise gig at the Kitten Klub last night. I was planning on going after Neil Young, but once again inertia got the best of me. Then, of course, this happened. I always miss the good stuff.

No comments: