Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Who is that blurry guy in the photo? It's David Gilmour, performing 20 feet in front of me at Radio City last night (yes, my camera phone is that bad even from such short distances). Pink Floyd is one of my all-time favorite bands. And while I'd of course rather see them reunite, at least I got half of the group with Gilmour and Rick Wright (plus Roxy Music guitarist Phil Manzanera thrown in for good measure). The first half of the show consisted of the 10 tracks from his new album On an Island. Decent music, nothing too exciting... until a surprise appearance by David Crosby and Graham Nash on a few songs. After the intermission, he kicked into high gear. Great eclectic mix of Floyd hits, fan favorites, and even a Syd Barrett solo song. I got goosebumps during "Time," which definitely makes my list of Top 10 Songs of All Time. The full version of "Echoes" blew me away and included a killer laser / light show. I can't thank my friend for the ultimate hook-up of 3rd-row seats to this show.
The guy in front of me had a much better camera than I did, and I gave him my e-mail address. Hopefully he'll send me some of his photos... if so, I'll post them.

Here's the setlist:
First half: Castellorizon, This Heaven, Smile, Red Sky At Night, Take A Breath, Then I Close My Eyes, On An Island*, The Blue*, Pocketful Of Stones, Where We Start.
Second half: Shine On You Crazy Diamond*, Wearing The Inside Out, Dominos, Fat Old Sun, Breathe/Time/Breathe (Reprise), High Hopes, Echoes.
Encores: Wish You Were Here, Find The Cost Of Freedom*, Comfortably Numb.
* = with Crosby and Nash

No comments: