Monday, June 27, 2005

I recently had a discussion with a co-worker about Murderball, the documentary about quadriplegic rugby. We had seen an advance screening, and in talking about it, she commented on how inspirational the film is. I agreed at the time. But the more I think about it, that's not really a true statement, seeing as how the movie hasn't really inspired me to do anything at all. I haven't taken up any new sports, nor increased the strenuousness of my workouts. I haven't become a fan of quadriplegic rugby. I haven't donated time or money to spinal injury research. So I guess inspirational is the wrong word, at least for me.
What I can say the movie is, though, is heart-wrenching (that co-worker cried throughout the entire film), uplifting, funny, and more exciting than Fantastic Four (which is so bad, it will get its own rant), Mr. & Mrs. Smith, The Longest Yard, and other high-priced summer blockbuster movies. Who knows if it will open anywhere outside NY or LA, but if you have a chance to see it, I highly recommend it.

No comments: